Conductor(s), Ottumwa Symphony Orchestra Youth Orchestra
Responsible for rehearsing and conducting the Ottumwa Symphony Youth Orchestra (OSYO) while inspiring and encouraging the musical growth of its young musicians.
- Rehearse and conduct all OSYO concerts and rehearsals set forth by the OSO each fiscal year. The OSYO season runs from late August through May, encompassing two concerts and weekly rehearsals which take place on Sunday afternoon from 1:00-2:30 p.m. for the Philharmonic Orchestra (6-8 strings only) and from 3:00 -5:00 for the Symphonic Orchestra (9-12 full orchestra). Candidate may apply for one or both positions.
- Determine repertoire to be studied and performed within budget established by the OSO (Ottumwa Symphony Orchestra). The conductor will inform the Manager of the OSO if music is to be purchased or rented. Such Manger will be responsible for the purchase or rental.
- Provide information for concert programs to the OSYO and OSO Managers in a timely manner.
- Work in close partnership with the OSYO and OSO Managers.
- Attend OSO Board meetings as required.
- Actively recruit new OSYO members from area schools.
- Foster and maintain good relationships with all public and private school music staff in area schools.
- Abide by all policies as established by the OSO Board of Directors.
- Bachelor’s degree in performance or music education with string emphasis
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Effective computer and social media skills
- Effective organizational and leadership skills
- Successful experience coordinating string program
Accountability and Evaluation:
The conductor of the OSYO is accountable to the Music Director of the OSO.
Performance reviews will be conducted annually by the Music Director of the OSO.
Philharmonic Orchestra: $2,000, no benefits
Symphonic Orchestra: $3,000, no benefits
Combined position: $5,000, no benefits
Please submit a resume, cover letter, and three professional references. Candidates are also encouraged to submit a video conducting sample. All materials may be submitted via email to Patty Babb, Manager, Ottumwa Symphony Orchestra at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications will be accepted through June 1, 2023 and interviews will begin on June 7, 2023 until the position is filled.